A good thing — but it’s a REALLY good thing — has come out of our latest gun terror massacre in Florida. The kids, the ones who actually survived the shooting, are not down with a bunch of dumb thoughts and prayers from NRA-funded politicians whose political careers depend on not doing anything to stop gun terror massacres. Never have we ever seen a young generation so accurately and boldly call out (many of) their elders for being absolutely full of shit.
We had a post this morning about a lot of the kids from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High in Parkland, Florida, but we feel Emma Gonzalez deserves her own post. Did you watch the viral video of Gonzalez, age 18, a high school kid, literally calling “BS” on all the grown-up Republicans with their gun blood money? Did you watch her tell them YOUR TIME IS FUCKIN’ UP? If you haven’t, you have stumbled onto the correct internet news post!
Here’s that video, followed by our favorite Gonzalez quotes, delivered at a rally this weekend in Florida against gun violence:
Here’s the speech from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student Emma Gonzalez at an anti-gun rally happening today in Fort Lauderdale https://t.co/CyfMnPDAvW // https://t.co/hgewZy4Cxf https://t.co/gssAmGczuH
— Joshua Chavers (@JoshuaChavers) February 17, 2018
- “We are going to be the last mass shooting!.” (Your mouth to God’s ears, but we don’t mean that in a thoughts ‘n’ prayers way.)
- “There has been one tweet that I would like to call attention to: ‘So many signs that the Florida shooter was mentally disturbed, even expelled for bad and erratic behavior. Neighbors and classmates knew he was a big problem. Must always report such instances to authorities, again and again!’ WE DID. Time and time again. Since he was in middle school. It was no surprise to anyone who knew him to hear that he was the shooter.”
- “We know that there are [those] claiming that there are mental health issues, and I am not a psychologist. But we need to pay attention to the fact that this isn’t just a mental health issue. He wouldn’t have harmed that many students WITH A KNIFE!“
- “And how about we stop blaming the victims for something that was the shooter’s fault? The fault of the people who let him buy the guns in the first place? Those at the gun shows, the people who encouraged him to buy accessories for his guns to make them fully automatic?”
- “If the president wants to come up to me and tell me to my face that it was a terrible tragedy, and how it should never have happened, and maintain telling us how nothing is going to be done about it, I’m going to happily ask him how much money he received from the National Rifle Association. But hey, you wanna know something? It doesn’t matter because I ALREADY KNOW! Thirty million dollars! And divided by the number of gunshot victims in the United States in the one and one half months in 2018 alone, that comes out to … $5,800. Is that how much these people are worth to you, Trump? If you don’t do anything to prevent this from … continuing to occur, that number of gunshot victims will go up, and the number that they are worth with go down. And we will be worthless to you! To any politician who is taking donations from the NRA, SHAME ON YOU.”
- “In February of 2017, one year ago, President Trump repealed an Obama-era regulation that would have made it easier to block the sale of firearms to certain people with mental illnesses. […] I don’t need to be a psychologist to know that repealing that regulation was a really DUMB idea. Republican Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa was the sole sponsor on this bill that stops the FBI from performing background checks on people adjudicated to be mentally ill, and now he’s stating for the record, ‘Well, it’s a shame that the FBI isn’t doing background checks on these mentally ill people!’ WELL DUH! You took that opportunity away LAST YEAR!”
- “The people in the government who are voted into power are lying to us, and us kids seem to be the only ones who notice and are prepared to call BS. […] Politicians who sit in their gilded House and Senate seats funded by the NRA, telling us nothing could have ever been done to prevent this, we call BS! They say that tougher gun laws do not decrease gun violence, we call BS! They say a good guy with a gun stops a bad guy with a gun, we call BS! They say guns are just tools like knives, and are just as dangerous as cars, we call BS! They say that no laws could have been able to prevent the hundreds of senseless tragedies that have occurred, we call BS! That us kids don’t know what we’re talking about, that we’re too young to understand how the government works, we call BS! If you agree, REGISTER TO VOTE, CALL YOUR LOCAL CONGRESSPEOPLE, GIVE THEM A PIECE OF YOUR MIND …”
AND SO FORTH. Have we convinced you to watch the video and to support Emma Gonzalez in her presidential run in 2036? She will be running against Ivanka Trump, probably, and it will be hilarious.
In response to Gonzalez’s video and those of other students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, Trump has decided he guesses he supports strengthening background checks, he guesses, if he gets around to it. We are not as polite as Emma Gonzalez, so instead of calling “BS,” we say, “Go fuck yourself, Trump, we will believe it when we see it.”
Gonzalez had some final thoughts about Trump and his rage-tweeting about how it’s the FBI’s fault the shooting happened, because they were too busy investigating NO COLLUSION, NO RUSSIAN COLLUSION, which she shared on MSNBC this weekend:
I think the best way to deal with this is to ignore him. I think we can all agree that the things that President Trump tweets is nothing that will have a lasting impact — unless it’s a negative lasting impact — on the people around us.
At this point especially, the things that he mentions when he brings up talk of the FBI, he’s trying to blame somebody. And we can’t let him do that. So, the best thing for us to do is to ignore him and to continue fighting our fight, the fight that he refuses to acknowledge. The fact that he refused to even tweet the word “gun” in any of his tweets. And yet, he insists on tweeting, and he insists on blaming the Democrats for something that he did wrong …
Follow Evan Hurst on Twitter RIGHT HERE.