Morning Wonketariat! Here’s some of the things we may be talking about today.
- Looks like Comey left a trail of
emailsmemos that detail Trump trying to push Comey around over the Mike Flynn investigation. Typical government suit, documenting potential “corruption” and “obstruction of justice” with “evidence.”
- Jason Chaffetz must have borrowed Marco Rubio’s gelatinous spine when Chaffetz tweeted that he’s got his “subpoena pen ready” to get his hands on a fat stack of Comey memos.
- A number of Republicans are signaling that they’ve had it with Trump (including Paul Ryan!) now that it’s in their best interest.
- When Putin called Trump on May 2, Putin specifically asked Trump to meet with Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov, and Trump said yes because he’s an egotistical pussy.
- Putin says he’s willing to hand over records of the Lavrov/Kislyak meeting last week to calm the “political schizophrenia” that’s erupted after TRUMP BRAGGED CLASSIFIED INTELLIGENCE TO THE FUCKING RUSSIANS.
- NSC officials are keeping Trump’s name in as many briefings as possible because he will reportedly pay attention if he sees his name. That’s not a joke, that’s true.
- As the Trump transition team began to bumble its way into the executive branch, Obama administration officials barred some Trump aides from viewing classified material because Trump’s people were randomly printing things like a porn-addict at the public library.
- Russia’s aluminum oligarch Oleg Deripaska is suing the AP for defamation after a story about his business dealings with Paul Manafort (paying him $10 million a year to Be Nice to Putin).
- SPEAKING OF WHICH: Manafort is being subpoenaed for records on a multi-million dollar mystery mortage for his house in Hamptons.
- Republican Sen. John Cornyn has pulled his name out of the running for FBI director because he’s worried that people might get upset if Trump appointed a MAGA fanboy to lead the FBI.
- When Trump met the Russian ambassador and foreign minister, he leaked classified information from Israel, and now the Israelis are fucking pissed.
- Now that he’s finished screwing up domestic affairs this week, Trump is headed overseas where he’ll undoubtedly have some awkward meetings with the leaders of Israel, Saudi Arabia, and Palestine before leaving a trail of Biblical oil fires throughout the Middle East in his wake.
- While Trump met Turkish
dictatorPresident Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Erdogan’s bodyguards brutally assaulted protesters near the Turkish Ambassador’s residence in NW DC. [Video]
- A bunch of ladies in the House are looking to shake things up on both sides of the aisle ahead of the 2018 elections.
- North Dakota Democratic Senator Heidi Heitkamp is flirting with business and regulatory reform in order to rake in some cash for reelection with a new bill that will make it harder to pass new regulations.
- Over 55,000 people have told the EPA not to roll back environmental legislation, but Scott Pruitt will still probably take a piss in the water supply for a dollar.
- Somebody dug up the remains of Pat Buchanan so he could say questioning Trump over his Russian connections is un-American, which is about what you’d expect from a Nixon stooge.
- The Western world dodged a big goddamn bullet with the #WanaCry attack after NSA software was stolen, modified, and executed by what looks like a bunch of amateurs looking for some quick cash.
- FCC Chair Ajit Pai is working hard to fuck up the Internet by siding with what is most likely robots pushed by anti-net neutrality companies, and now he’s openly mocking pro-net neutrality advocates on Twitter and Youtube in a stolen Jimmy Kimmel bit.
- GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! Chelsea Manning
is set to leaveHAS LEFT prison! Thanks, Obama!
- And here’s your late night wrap-up! Seth Meyers took A Closer Look at the Comey memos; Colbert wondered how awkward Trump’s state dinners will go; The Daily Show has got whiplash from Trump-Russia jerking us around; and Jimmy Kimmel updated School House Rock to include lies.
- And here’s your morning Nice Time! Pacific Pocket Mice!
Hey! Yr Wonkette is supported only by readers like you, so donate/subscribe and we’ll keep giving you all hard-hitting and independent ‘splainerings, dick jokes, and mommy blogging you already love!