A social studies teacher at Kell High School in Marietta, Georgia, gave students a brilliant lesson in logical fallacies last week with this homework question in a “current issues” class:
Find evidence for a comparison of Lenin/Stalin’s methods of changing Russia from a capitalist country to a command country to Obama’s methods of changing the United States from a capitalist country to a socialist country.
For some reason, a number of students and parents complained about the “analytical thinking” assignment to the school’s administration, possibly because they have been brainwashed by leftist university professors. The assignment was withdrawn, and the teacher, a long-term substitute for the regular instructor, was reprimanded but will remain on the job. Her new assignment, which asks students to use science to prove that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Light (show your work), is not expected to cause any problems.
Pretty much the only reporting on this story uses the tape from CBSAtlanta, which is worth a few words as well:
We think it’s pretty awesome that since nobody in the school administration would talk to them, they got expert opinion from a high school senior who noted that this teacher is not the only one who suffers from “biasness,” and that the assignment went a little over the line in “comparing our president to someone like Stalin, even though we are most definitely progressing toward a socialist union.” Kid’s got a bright career in Georgia politics ahead of him.
Not mentioned in the CBS affiliate’s story was the teacher’s suggested list of sources:
OTHERS YOU MAY FIND
Where, we must ask, is Your Wonkette on that list???? We will NOT STAND for being reduced to a Gilliganesque “And the rest” by these local newsbastards!
In any case, we would like to offer some alternative “analytical thinking” questions:
- Find evidence for a comparison of McDonalds switching from beef tallow to palm oil for their Freedom fries to the Armenian genocide.
- Find evidence for a comparison of Stalin’s building of gulags to hold dissenters to Obama’s building of FEMA re-education camp system. (Extra credit to a comparison of FEMA coffins to appropriate passages from Solzhenitsyn.)
- Find evidence for a comparison of Hitler’s T4 program to use sterilization and euthanasia to rid Germany of “useless eaters” to Obamacare’s death panels. Explain the horrible irony of how Obama’s handing out food stamps will actually increase the number of Useless Eaters.
- Find evidence for a comparison of Hitler’s system of Autobahns and Dwight Eisenhower’s methods of instituting a Nazi Interstate Highway system in the United States.
- Compare and contrast the ideas in George Orwell’s “Politics and the English Language” with the programming content of Fox News.
That last one would probably get her fired.
GIVE US MONEY! -