This week, General Petraeus, James Carville, Wesley Clark, Donald Rumsfeld, Henry Kissinger, Sam Brownback, and Mary Cheney were all spotted being various degrees of famous at various places by our spies and operatives. Voyeuristic fun, as always, is after the jump.
See someone we’ve heard of somewhere in or near the district? Tell us about it in an email, with the subject line “Wonk’d” or “Sighting.”
* Saw General Petraeus at the Washington Opera last night (premiere of La Boheme). He was with two third-rate security goons — note to US Army security, this is the opera, would it kill you to dry clean your suit and iron your shirt before you come. He was with a woman (wife?) who was well dressed and moderately attractive for an older lady. “Betray us” himself looks much worse in person than he does on TV, 5′ 8″ or so with really, really bad skin. He needs to find a good dermatologist — stat.
* Monday night, the 17th: James Carville, in his front-row Nationals seats. With some mid-20s guy, left before the 8th inning.
* Wesley Clark is standing right outside my office in the main lobby of our building in Georgetown, alone, leaning casually on a railing and talking on his cell phone. My coworker says he’s seen him in the building before. He’s good looking. I would go talk to him but I don’t have anything to say to him.
* Just ran past Rummy and his wife crossing the Taft Bridge, headed toward Woodley Park around 6:30pm. He was making his typical facial expression (face all shriveled up, eyes squinting); his wardrobe looked really “laid back” — a suit but no tie. They were followed by two tall Secret Service goons and a perpetual dark cloud of guilt and shame.
* On my way back from lunch at The Brown Bag, I saw Henry Kissinger walking west on Eye St. NW between Farragut Square and 18th St. I bet he was rolling to hit up Five Guys down in International Square. How do you think he takes his burger?
* Spotted: very manicured Brownback on noon flight to kansas city… Perhaps to save more unborn children in his homestate??
* Had just left the peace march on Sat. 9/15 and was stopped for the light at Foxhall & Loughboro. Here comes Mary Cheney in her Jeep Cherokee hanging a right onto Foxhall. Alas, didn’t have time to beep the horn & press my breasteses against the window to show her the T-shirt I was wearing that said “Arrest Cheney First.”