This week, Dave Chapelle, Carl Levin, Stephanie Herseth Sandlin, Grover Norquist, Margaret Spellings, Ann Gillespie, Rusty, Chris Matthews and Masi Oka were all spotted being various degrees of famous at various places by our spies and operatives. Voyeuristic fun, as always, is after the jump.
See someone we’ve heard of somewhere in or near the district? Tell us about it in an email, with the subject line “Wonk’d” or “Sighting.”
* Dave Chappell is at T-Coast right now (Friday, 3pm). He is with his wife and I guess his three kids. They are all dressed real nice, like they came from church or something. We were hoping he would do something funny, but he didn’t, so we just drank a beer and stared.
* Saturday August the 4th: Saw Carl Levin and his wife around 9:10 pm ish coming out of a movie (Becoming Jane, perhaps?) at the E Street Cinema. He looked a little weak and almost seemed to be leaning on his wife for support. Aww…poor Carl.
* Earlier tonight I was on the top floor of Lauriol Plaza celebrating the birthday of a friend. Seated two tables away was Andrew Dan-Jumbo, the hunky carpenter from TLC’s While You Were Out. I did a bit of googling and discovered that he was recently arrested for trespassing at an American Red Cross Bash fundraiser. Odd. About 10 minutes after they brought out my friend’s birthday cake, and everyone sang “Happy Birthday,” the waiters brought out a birthday cake for Dan-Jumbo’s table. The cake went to a pretty, blonde girl sitting next to Dan-Jumbo, and everyone once again sang the song. But when it came to the end, Dan-Jumbo sang “Happy birthday, twenty-two year old… Happy birthday to you.”
* At national airport, i just saw Stephanie Herseth Sandlin, which is always a treat. She was sitting at tgif fridays. She’s like the Angelina Jolie of the great plains.
* At the american gate at national i just saw Grover Norquist, dragging his bags around while bluetoothing the shit out of his phone. Looks like a tough s.o.b.
* Margaret Spellings sometimes attends the same church in Old Town that I do. At the risk of going to hell, I dutifully report that I observed her put a whole two dollars in the collection plate. While wearing Chanel glasses. This same church recently added a new clergy member – the actress who played Kelly’s mom on Beverly Hills, 90201. Donna Martin graduates!
* Not only did I spot Rusty from whyihatedc, but I also spotted that dude Masi Oka, from “Heroes,” on the stage during Spoon’s set at the Virgin Festival’s North Stage on Sunday. He was there with a woman who looked to be on the Amy Winhouse diet and a reeeally cute baby wearing protective headphones.
* I just saw Dave Chappelle at the 7-11 on Maryland and 8th NE. He was with a tall woman, was stoned out of his mind, and the 7-11 clerk wouldn’t break his $50. He stood back and watched while I paid for my Dr. Pepper. I didn’t know if he was expecting me to say anything to him, so I said, “you’re funny.” He looked at me for a second and said “thanks.”
* I saw Chris Matthews pouncing down Connecticut Ave. loaded down with bags from Jos. Banks yesterday (8/10). From the looks of things it was a shopping trip well worth the effort. He was so disheveled–rumpled short, hair flying–that I was pretty sure he was going to hand me a flyer from a nearby jewelry store.
GIVE US MONEY! -