Let’s check in with Rep. Jim Gibbons of Nevada, who was about to become governor of the Silver State until something happened outside a Vegas steak/seafood restaurant and bar:
* The Cocktail Waitress has not backed down from her charges that Gibbons assaulted her when she wouldn’t go back to his motel.
* The bill for Gibbons’ “flirty and dirty” drunkfest was “over $300.”
* Nevada voters are now asking questions like, “So why was Gibbons allegedly helping somebody so drunk they could hardly walk get behind the wheel of a truck?”
* The slurring, cussing and weird laughter heard on The Cocktail Waitress’ 911 calls suggests the Gibbons threat was less than dire.
* Gibbons’ political wizard Sig Rogich — who helped Reagan and Bush 41 get to the White House back when he had moves — clumsily begged the LV Review-Journal not to run the story, saying “This is the kind of story that can cost an election.” Duh.
* What the hell was Gibbons thinking, getting drunk with a bunch of women (and without his wife) three weeks before Election Day, in public?
* Gibbons has since made the worst campaign pledge in history: “I learned an important lesson: Never to offer a helping hand to anybody ever again.”
Gibbons’ strategist regrets leaving candidate before incident [Las Vegas Sun]
EARLIER: Rape, Murder, It’s Just a Shot AwayRelated